Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Draining away excess oil
Chili potatoes, yum yum
Calling all hot and spicy food lovers! This recipe is easy to prepare. Taste good if eaten with steam rice.
1) 3 medium size potatoes, cut into thin slices
2) Chili powder or chili paste, 1 table spoon
3) Sugar, 1 teaspoon
4) Salt, ½ teaspoon
5) Tomato sauce, 1 table spoon
6) Shallots, 5 pcs, cut into thin slices
7) Vegetable oil
Heat up vegetable oil in wok and deep fry the potato until golden brown. Take out the potatoes and put aside. Leave a little bit of oil in the wok and stir fry the shallots until crispy. Add in chili powder and stir the chili under low heat until for around 3 minutes. Then add in salt, sugar and tomato sauce. When the salt and sugar dissolve, add in the potatoes and stir until the chili coat the potatoes evenly.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
From top left (cw) Chinese cooking wine,
light soya sauce, sesame oil, broccoli,
Soft fresh tofu
Tofu with Broccoli Dish
1) Tofu – 500 gms
2) Garlic – 5 cloves, cut into thin strips
3) Broccoli – 200 gms
4) Light Soya sauce – 3 table spoon
5) Salt : ½ teaspoon
6) Sesame oil – 1 teaspoon
7) Corn Flour – 1 table spoon
8) Chinese Cooking Wine – Shao Shing Chiew (Optional - Non Halal)
9) Vegetable oil for frying the tofu
- Cut tofu in to 1x1x2 “and fry until golden brown. Put the fried tofu aside.
- Heat up wok. Add 1 table spoon of vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Fry the garlic until golden brown. Take it out from the wok and put on top of the fried
- Leave the leftover vegetable oil and sesame oil in the wok. Add ½ a bowl of water and
when it is boiling add salt (1/2 teaspoon), Chinese wine(Shou Shing Chiew) (1/2 table spoon) and soya sauce.(2 table spoons) Add in the broccoli and stir fried for a while.
Put the corn flour into a bowl and add little bit of cold water and stir well.
Pour this mixture into the wok to thicken the gravy.
- Pour the gravy and brocolli on the fried tofu. The dish is ready to be served.
Dried Bean Curd Strips (Tau Kee)
Soft Tofu - Bought fresh from Kepong Baru
wetmarket. Home made.
All ready to eat. Best eaten with steam rice
or soft buns
1) Dried Bean Curd Strips - 5 pcs
2) Tofu - One large piece(4" x4"x4") - Cut into 1" cubes
3) Cinnamon Stick (Kayu Manis) - 2 sticks
4) Star Anise(Bunga Lawang) - 2 pcs
5) Light Soya Sauce - 5 table spoon
6) Dark Soya Sauce - 1 table spoon
7) Salt to taste - (Please note that the light soya sauce is already very salty)
8) Corn Flour - 3 teaspoon
9) Water - 2 small bowls
10) 1 bulb of Garlic and Hard Boil Eggs (optional, some vegetarian don't take these)
-Soak Dried Beancurd Strips in cold water for 1 hour.
-Heat up 2 small bowls of water in pot. Add Cinnamon Sticks, Star Anise, Light Soya Sauce, Light Soya Sauce, Dark Soya Sauce and Garlic(optional). Boil for 20 minutes.
-Add in the soaked Dried Beancurd Strips, Tofu and Hard Boiled Eggs(optional). Boil for 5 mins.
-Mix corn flour with a little cold water and add it in the stew to make it thick. Add salt to taste and serve. Best eaten with steam rice or soft buns.
Bean Curd Sheet
Cantonese name (Foo Pei), Hokkien name (Tau Poey)
Five Spice Powder. This high grade brand (very nice strong aroma) is from Penang, Malaysia but nowadays you can get it from many places and hypermarket in KL . Brand Pok Aun Thong
Bean curd sheets all ready, marinated and folded
Fried vegan spiced Bean Curd Sheet
Fried Bean Curd Skin cut and ready to be served
This is a very easy dish to prepare and everyone in my family, especially the kids love it. Ready made ones can be bought from Hypermarkets frozen section but nothing beats a homemade variety.
Ingredients: Five Spice Powder, Sugar, Light Soya Sauce, Bean Curd Skin, Vegetable Oil for Frying
1) Seasoning, combine.
a) Five spice powder, 1 tea spoon
b) Sugar, 1 table spoon
c) Light Soya sauce, 3 table spoon
2) 1 piece Bean Curd Sheet, Cut into around 6” by 10”
Put a tea spoon of seasoning (1) into the cut Bean Curd Sheet and spread it around the
Bean Curd Sheet. Then fold the seasoned Bean Curd Sheet as in picture number (4).
3) Heat up 1 cup of vegetable/corn oil in wok and fry the seasoned Bean Curd Sheet
until crispy. Bean Curd Sheet cook easily, so do not fry too long or you will burn it.
Cut into small rectangular shape and serve.