Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Factory pre packed BKT herbs & spices
or you can also use.........
This one is from a Chinese Medicine shop
You can use either one but the freshly packed
herbs from Chinese
Medicine shop has stronger herbal taste.
Delicious and healthy Veg Kut Teh
Veg Kut Teh is the vegetarian version of Bak Kut Teh. You can either use factory pre packed Bak Kut Teh herbs (A1 Brand in picture above) or get the local Chinese Medicine Shop to pack the herbs for you. Bak Kut Teh is a favourite herbal soup in Malaysia.
1) Pre packed Bak Kut Teh spices, 1 packet (A1 brand comes with 2 sachets, Use 1 satchet for 5 bowls of water)
2) Bean Curd Strips, 5 pcs, soaked in water to soften
3) Fried Fluffy Bean Curd (Toufu Pok), 10 pcs
4) Oysters Mushroom, 10 pcs
5) Carrots, 1 large, cut into cubes
6) Young Corns, 10 pcs, cut half
7) Garlic, 1 bulb (cook with skin intact)
8) Vegetarian Oyster sauce, 2 table spoons
9) Light Soya Sauce, 7 table spoons
10) Thick Soya Sauce, ½ teaspoon
11) Vegetable oil, 2 table spoon
12) 5 bowls of water
13) Salt to taste
14) *Lycium berries (Kei chi), around 1 table spoon (optional, added for extra flavour)
15) *Tong Kwai, 2 pcs (optional, for extra flavour)
*Note, I add this two herbs if I am using Factory pre packed BKT spices.
Note: You can add in mock vegetarian meat and vegetables in to the Veg Kut Teh.
Put 5 bowls of water into a pot and bring to a boil. Add in the pre packed spices, Kei chi (optional), Tong Kwai(optional) carrot and garlic. Boil for around 20 minutes. Then add in light soya sauce, thick soya sauce, vegetable oil and vegetarian oyster sauce. Put in the bean curd strips, corns and toufu pok. Add salt to taste.
VKT is best eaten with steamed rice and Chinese crullers (You Char Kwai). For extra kick, use bird eye chili in soya sauce as dipping sauce for the VKT.